Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Sauteed Spinach & Chick Peas


Packed with protein, fiber and iron I am not ashamed to say I love this little bean. Like most of my peers, whenever I go back home it is most likely that I swipe something(s) from my mom's cabinet to come take residence in my apartment. This week it was $1.29 can of chick peas. Ridiculous I know, but I find much comfort in the fact that you all do it too! So, what started with a stolen $1.29 can o' chick peas became a recipe I will surely be adding to my arsenal. The random combination of cayenne and cinnamon I was feeling really turned out well paired with the spinach/chickpea dynamic (if I may say so myself). Needless to say, there was not one bean left behind.

Ingredients:


2 packages fresh spinach, rinsed

1 can (or 20 oz fresh) chick peas

1 shallot, minced

4 cloves garlic, crushed
1 lemon, juiced
1 tsp. cayenne pepper

2 shakes cinnamon
1/4 cup olive oil
salt & pepper


Procedure:


Open up the can of chick peas and strain out the liquid. Run under cold water for approximately 3 minutes to remove as much of the sodium from the canning process as possible.
(If you have the time and patience to reconstitute fresh dry chick peas, by all means...be my guest!)

Heat 2 tbsp. olive oil on a medium high heat. When the oil is hot, throw in the minced shallot and keep mixing for approximately 2-3 minutes. Then, add in four cloves of crushed garlic and stir for another minute, before the garlic starts to brown.


Next, toss in the thoroughly rinsed chick peas, cayenne pepper, two dashes of cinnamon and some salt and pepper. Raise the heat to high, and leave the chickpea mixture on the flame, stirring every so often, until the chick peas start to crisp up a bit.

Once a tad crispy, add in the two bags of spinach, juice of one lemon, and 2 more tablespoons of olive oil. Stir it up. The spinach should shrivel faster than your boy toy in a hot tub. Serves 4. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment