Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Cauliflower Mash I


Mmmmm...this is easily one of my favorite veggie side dishes, mostly because it is soo easy to make and soo hard to mess up. It is also uber easy to play around with. You can make wasabi mash, parmesan mash, za'atar mash...the possibilities are endless. For now though we will start with the 101 version, cauliflower mash for dummies.

Ingredients:

1 whole cauliflower, stem and leaves removed
2 tbsp. light Smart Balance
Sea Salt & Fresh Pepper, to taste
Dash of garlic powder

Procedure:


After the cauliflower has been fully cleaned, rough chop the head into smaller pieces. It really does not matter how you cut it, so have fun, go nuts! Then, put the cauliflower into a pot of water- enough water so that the cauliflower is fully covered. Bring the cauliflower and water to a boil. Once boiling, add salt and pepper to the water, cover the pot and set the flame to low. Simmer for 20 minutes.

After the cauliflower has simmered, the florets should easily break apart. Strain out the water and mash the cauliflower using the back of a fork. I do this step still in the strainer to make sure all excess water is removed. Once fully mashed, transfer it into a bowl, add the light smart balance, salt and pepper, a sprinkle of garlic powder and enjoy! See, I told you it was easy. Serves 3.

On another note, I know I have just begun, but it is vacation time for me! My Vitamin D stores are in major need of replenishment. Ciao for now....

3 comments:

  1. great glad u gave me this recipe it was sick when u made it

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is absolutely amazing and tastyyyy!!! i added some osem onion powder and that also tasted good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooo yummy! Sometimes I add a sauteed onion, that's d-lish too, but takes some extra time.

    ReplyDelete