Thursday, February 17, 2011

Almond Crusted Tilapia

My photog skills thus far definitely are not going to win me any awards, this I know (sorry Grandma Judy). I'm just in it for the cooking. Thankfully, I have plenty of friends in my arsenal who know their way around a camera and have quite the appetite. Barter much? Thank you Eddie for all the lovely photos!


Last night I prepared a vacation-inspired dinner. While away I had fish at practically every meal besides breakfast, so much so that at one point the mention of grouper probably would make me instantaneously nauseous. However, now I'm back in New York City and I find myself craving that darned grouper once again. I set out to make almond crusted grouper with mango salsa, went to Whole Foods all excited, but of course no grouper in site. Cue improvisation- something that comes hand and hand with cooking...especially when cooking with fresh, seasonal ingredients. Hence, almond crusted Grouper became almond crusted Tilapia and I must say, it was scrumptious.


Ingredients:

4 pieces tilapia

For the fish spice rub:
2 tbsp. paprika
2 tbsp. salt
2 tbsp. pepper

For the crust:
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup slivered almonds
1/3 cup whole wheat flour
Dash of garlic powder, salt and pepper


Procedure:

Blot the fish fillets dry with a paper towel. Mix together the paprika, salt and pepper in a bowl. Sprinkle the spice mixture on the front and backs of the filets and rub it on in. Set aside.

In a shallow bowl sift together the whole wheat flour, slivered almonds, garlic powder, salt and pepper.

In a separate bowl, crack the two eggs and beat em up.



Heat up a fry pan with some olive oil on a medium flame. Dip one Tilapia fillet in the beaten egg, then dip the fillet in to the flour/almond mixture and coat both sides evenly. Once the oil is hot (easily disperses in the pan), place the fillet on the pan and cook it for about 3 minutes on each side. Repeat with all fillets. If it seems the crust is browning faster then the fish is cooking, you can place the fillets in the oven on a baking sheet for a few minutes to cook through after you pan sear the fish in olive oil.

I served the fish with a mango salsa (see next post), but it can also be served with wasabi mashed potatoes (recipe coming soon) or as a sandwich with some wasabi-mayo. Enjoy! Serves 4.


No comments:

Post a Comment