Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Roasted Fennel


Yo yo yo! I apologize for my complete and utter disappearance. I can give you a million and one excuses as to why I haven't blogged, but who really cares? The most important thing is that I am back and ready for some foodie action. PS in the works, thanks to my awesome friend David, is virginecuisine.com! Stay tuned for more info about that...

Now back to the whole cooking thing. Last week I attempted to make Giada's sweet potato gnocchi with whole wheat flour and low-fat ricotta, but to no avail. It was my first complete FAIL in the kitchen, but it's part of the learning process...I guess not all dishes can tastefully be slimmed down. On the bright side, I made some roasted fennel as a side dish and it was definitely a complete WIN!

Ingredients:

1 Fennel bulb, fronds reserved (fronds are the leafy things on top)
1.5 tbsp. olive oil
2 tbsp. orange muscat champagne vinegar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
pinch of hungarian paprika
pinch sugar

Procedure:

Preheat oven to 425.


Cut the fennel bulb into horizontal planks as shown above.

Dress the fennel with olive oil, orange muscat champagne vinegar salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, and hungarian paprika. Rub it in well to both sides. Then place fennel on a greased pyrex and sprinkle a pinch of sugar on top.


Roast in the oven for 30-45 minutes until tender and slightly browned. Serves 2, enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment