Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Lentil Salad


Hello all, I apologize for my brief leave of absence. Between my social calendar obligations and all my school work due before Spring Break, I did not spend all too much time in my own kitchen (and I totally feel a bit heavier as a result).

For my father's birthday I did not know what to get him (especially with my quite diminished bank account), and he is always asking about the blogola so I decided to make him a birthday feast. My main aim was to make highlights from the blog; making dishes that would never usually be found on my table at home. Well, it was a huge success and guess what? I have a new recipe to share! (Plus I got to bring tons of leftovers back to the city with me. Score!)

Ingredients:

1 16 oz. bag lentils
2 large carrots, cut in small cubes
1 large parsnip, cut in small cubes
1/2 onion, minced
4 large cloves garlic, pressed
1 tbsp.+ 1 tsp. dried thyme
dash of cayenne pepper
1/4 cup olive oil (2.5 tbsp. for sauteing and 1.5 tbsp. for salad)
1/4 cup chopped parsley
3 tbsp. white vinegar (can also use TJ's orange muscat champagne vinegar!)
salt & pepper, to taste

Procedure:

Bring lentils to a boil, once boiling add some kosher salt, cover and simmer for about 15-20 minutes until the lentils are cooked through.

While the lentils are boiling...

Mince carrots, parsnip and 1/2 onion. Heat 2.5 tbsp. olive oil on a medium-high heated saute pan. When the oil is hot, toss in the 1/2 onion stirring for about 3 minutes, until beginning to become clear. Add in 4 cloves of smashed garlic, stir for another minute. Then, add the carrots and parsnips to the mix, stir to mix with onion+garlic mixture. Add in dried thyme, a dash of cayenne, salt and pepper. Stir the mixture every so often until the carrots and parsnips become soft, about 5-7 minutes.



Strain the lentils, put them in a mixing bowl. Toss with parsnip mixture, chopped parsley, white vinegar, and the rest of the olive oil. Add a little bit of salt and pepper if necessary. Cool in the fridge for approximately 30 minutes before serve time. Enjoy! Serves 8-12.

No comments:

Post a Comment